MBC 2017 - Reflection

*All pictures from have been uploaded to a google album.  The link is below*

https://goo.gl/photos/nroGFiiULs1Vs2DY7



I finally had the feeling of disappointment.

I won't be receiving an MBC 2017 Finisher Jersey because I don't deserve one.  I didn't finish.

It's a bit silly to be fussed about not receiving a jersey, but this is one that I wanted.  Earning this jersey meant that I accomplished something epic.

At the time I wasn't bummed about not finishing.  I was sick, the only thing on my mind was getting home and getting back to the comforts of familiar surroundings, specifically, my bed and my toilet.  Two weeks ago I knew I was at my limit, there wasn't much more I could have done to finish.

However, all of that has changed now.  Yes, I was sick.  But that shouldn't have mattered.  I still could have finished if I wanted it enough.  I didn't die nor did I even come close to taking an unwanted trip to the hospital.  After all, I'm just fine.  Within two weeks of returning back from Mongolia, I've embarked on the two longest rides I've ever done from my house in Japan.  I used to be lonely going on long rides, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

Mongolia changed me.  Mongolia made me stronger.  Mongolia made me realize that I have been weak.

Sure, riding for 3+ hours by yourself can be lonely.  The further away you go from home means the longer your ride back will be.  None of this seemed particularly alluring before Mongolia.  Why would I want to go out by myself and suffer?  Why would I want to be alone?

I found the answers to those questions.

1.  There is beauty all around us -- I have never ridden in a place more beautiful than Mongolia.  Although there is nothing, there is beauty in it.  Endless rolling hills and blue skies.  There is no place on Earth where you can feel more alone.  It's a surreal feeling.  I spent many hours on the bike alone.  I spent many hours talking to myself.  I spent many hours enjoying the scenery.  I spent many hours doing something that I love.

But, if I think about it, there's no place more beautiful to ride a bike than Japan.  There's also no place more beautiful to ride a bike than Hawaii.  Each place around the world has it's own beauty.  The best thing about loving to ride a bike?  We can see it all.  We can experience it all.

My two most recent long rides in Japan were wonderful experiences.  I saw the beauty that has always been there.  I stopped to enjoy the things I wanted to enjoy.  It was hot, but that didn't matter.  I won't have forever to ride these roads.  I'll enjoy them while I can.

And on that note, I'll make it my goal to see more of Japan and more of the world.  All by bike of course.


2.  We are stronger that we think we are --  I've suffered on a bike before, but never like how I did in Mongolia.  To keep this short and simple.  I didn't die.  I'm still alive.  I learned that I can push myself past my limits.  I want to find that feeling again.  I'll never know where the end of the road is, but as long as I keep pedaling on, I'll get closer and closer.


3.  I love doing this -- I realized how much I love riding my bike.  It allows me to see things that most don't see (or at least have the chance to appreciate it).  It allows me to challenge myself to become stronger, faster, harder.  It gives me a sense of freedom.  If I love riding my bike so much, why shouldn't I want to go out and spend hours in the saddle?



Will I ever go back to Mongolia to earn that finishers jersey?  I don't know.  Perhaps not.  But either way, I will never forget the experiences that I had in Mongolia.  I'll never forget being alone.  I'll never forget the suffering.  And I'll never forget the friends that I have made.

Mongolia was good for me.  I wake up everyday and can't wait to ride my bike.  I can't wait for new adventures.  I hope the future is full of new roads, new trails, and new places.

And going back to my status as a non-finisher.  I'll be ok.
I may not have finished, but I had the opportunity to try.  I finished 4 out of 6 days.  Some of my problems were out of my control.  Yes, I could have kept pushing on, but that's ok.

Thinking back on the experience, I imagine that many people would have had a difficult time surviving the 6 days of living in Gers and camping without any wi-fi, hot showers, or modern comforts.  Add in the challenge of a difficult bike race into the mix and it seems impossible.  But impossible it is not.  In fact, had I chosen to suffer just a bit more, it would have been possible for me.

Instead I may have learned a more valuable lesson...
What it means to truly suffer...
and I learned that it's an amazing feeling.

I'll miss Mongolia and the MBC.
I left everything there.  Blood, sweat, and tears.
But I'm lucky to have taken so much more back with me for the rest of my life.


Thank you to everyone who has supported my journey.

Of course a big thank you to the MBC Staff and all riders and volunteers.

Especially, thank you to Rob, Shun, Mashu, Choon, and Dave.  Without you, I wouldn't have even finished Stage 1.  I learned a lot from you and will strive to be strong riders like you.  We had good times even through perhaps the worst of times.



My final thought on MBC 2017...

If someone ever asks me 'you spent all that money to go to Mongolia and didn't even finish?'
Yes, I did spend all that money, and I didn't finish.
I didn't finish a race that's over 600km long, over 9,000m elevation gain in the Mongolian wilderness.

But I at least allowed myself the chance to go.  The chance to experience something crazy and the chance to learn so much more about myself than I ever could have imagined.

Think about this.

Only 108 riders in the world had the opportunity to do something crazy in Mongolia.
There are 7.5 billion people in the world.
I was one of the 108 that had the opportunity.

I'll continue to make the most of the opportunity that was had.






I stopped and took pictures of the scenery in Japan.  It's more beautiful than I thought.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no fun when you're the only one

tomorrow is an excuse for today

i like summer