MBC 2017 - Stage 5 and 6 till Home

The adventure comes to an end.  A hard week it was.  An unforgettable experience was had.

2017.08.17

Stage 5

I heard Mashu's alarm go off at 7.  I heard everyone else in the Ger wake up and start their morning.  I didn't move.  I still laid in bed.  I hadn't slept well the night before.  I might have spent more time on the toile than I did in bed.

In all seriousness, my bowel movement was unpredictable at this point.  I was seriously concerned that any movement at all would trigger some unwanted consequences.

I stayed in bed till I heard Rob call for me.  I don't even know what time it was at this point.  Apparently word had gotten around that a few of us had the runs.  I was one of the unfortunate ones.   I went to go seek some medical attention and was given some anti-diarrhea pills to help with my problem.

At this point, I knew I was going to start.  I was already a non-finisher, I had nothing to gain but everything to lose.  My first pedal stroke on the bike would have triggered my body to unleash what was left inside of me.  It was better to not take the risk.  On top of that, I refused to eat and felt a bit dizzy without any energy.

There  was word of cake for breakfast so I went down and had a few pieces.  It didn't sit in my stomach for very long.  I was hungry, but too afraid to eat because of what might result from it.  I saw that the restaurant had some Pringles for sale.  That was going to be my entire meal for the day.

I packed up my things, was placed in one of the many awesome Russian-made off-road vans and headed to the next ger camp.

start of stage 5

the top guys took off

my shame train for the day
The ride in the van was much bumpier than the ride in the medical vehicle.  I also like to think that the driver of this van was taking more risks and generally cared much less about the comfort quality of the ride.  If I weren't sick, it would have been fun.  But having a bad stomach made it a bit miserable.  The smell of the exhaust filled the van and made it unpleasantly hot inside.  At least the ride was only 2 hours or so.





We arrived at the Ger camp for the next two nights.  It was in the middle of nowhere.  It was beautiful but rustic.  There was a charm to it.  However I soon learned that this camp had no electricity and running water on site.  The Ger that I was placed in leaked and didn't have a proper floor.  This was going to be a rough days.

I visited the toilet a few more times and still didn't feel very good.  I laid down in bed for most of the day.  I didn't eat lunch, didn't eat dinner, and didn't take a shower.  I just stayed in bed.

Looking out the door made me feel sick.  As beautiful as it was, there was a sense of isolation.  I would have to deal with my stomach problems in poor conditions for two more days.  I would have to eat rough food for the next two days.  I would have to be confined to my sleeping bag on this bed for the next two days.

I thought about going home.  I thought about modern luxuries.  All I wanted was a western toilet that I could have all to myself.  I thought about foods that soothe my stomach.  My own bed, my own toilet, at the moment would have been heaven for me.

I didn't think I was going to make it.




ger fever
After laying in bed for a few hours I started to think about ways I could leave back to Ulaan Baatar.  I wondered if any of the race vehicles would return early.  I wondered if the water truck or any other car would pass by and leave.  It was all a fantasy really.

Turns out I wasn't the only person imagining such thoughts.  My ger-mate for the night, Liam from the U.K. (who was also sick), was having similar thoughts.

Life in Mongolia is rough.  The Mongols are tough people.  I gained a lot of respect for them on this day.

Time never seemed like it would pass.  The long day turned into a long night.  I didn't think it would end.



2017.08.18

Stage 6


When I woke up, I assumed I wasn't going to ride.  It was only a 25km stage anyway.  I stayed in bed past Mashu's alarm.  Eventually I was forced to get out of bed to make yet another trip to the toilet.  This toilet was quite nice.  By toilet I of course mean hole in the ground.  There were no doors.  But there was a roof.  It looked out to the empty landscape.  I miss that hole.

an outhouse with a view

luxury
My trip to the hole somehow managed to boost my morale that morning.  I headed back to my ger and learned that the start time for non-finishers was at 930.  At this point it was about 915.  I thought, I feel good enough to ride, I might as well ride.

I got out my kit, put it on then checked to see if I had enough water.  I later found out that I didn't.  But with just 25km ahead it didn't matter.  I ran to the start line, looked for my bike but couldn't find it.  I asked the mechanics if they knew where it was and they didn't.  They scrambled around looking for it as the Race Referee shouted 30 seconds till the start.  One of the mechanics found my bike and ran it towards me as the 10 second countdown began.  With just seconds to spare I made the 930 time with the 3 other non-finishers.

In all honesty, it didn't matter whether or not I made the time.  My effort wouldn't officially be timed and it was nothing more than a joy ride.  However, I had a personal ambition that I wanted to achieve.  Since I was the first of 4 starters, I wanted to be the first finisher.  We had a 30 minute time gap over the next starter, so I figured if I pushed hard, I'd come home first.

The ride was short and quick.  The other guys didn't seem to want to go fast.  Completely understandable.  There was no reason for me to go fast except to be the first finisher.  I pushed up the climbs, took a bit more risks on the descents than a joyride would dictate.  I never went over the limit but I had a nice solid ride.

Sure enough, I came back first.  Congratulations to me.  It was my only win of the race, even if just in my mind.


 I took another cold shower and went back to bed.

When everyone returned, we decided to climb the mountain behind us.  It was a harder trek than we thought it was going to be, but it was worth it.









The night closed with dinner and the closing award ceremony.  Of course I was disappointed that I wasn't going to receive a finishers shirt but it didn't matter.  Watching everyone else accept theirs was a joyous enough moment for me.  Perhaps someday I'll collect mine.

It was on the last night where I finally looked up at the skies.  It didn't rain and I was up late enough till the sky was completely dark.  What a sight it was.  I had never seen so many stars in my life nor have I ever seen them shine so bright.

This was the last night I would have to spend in a ger.  This was the last night I'd have to use a hole for a toilet.  It was exciting.



2017.08.19

As usual, I woke up early in the morning to visit the hole.  I did my business and realized the sun was about to rise.  It was beautiful.  Wanting to capture the moment, I climbed up the mountain just a bit to take a few snapshots.





The rest of the morning was peaceful.  There was no riding, just waiting.  We were to catch a bus back to Ulaan Baatar at 10.  There were dogs and cats to play with.  We enjoyed our last moments in nature.


dirty dogs

a puppy

rasta dog

The bus ride wasn't fun.  It was hot and bumpy.  We all just wanted to get back.  We knew we were close to Ulaan Baatar.  The traffic made the journey longer.  I closed my eyes and eventually we were back in the city.

My flight was in the evening and I had time to kill.  Thanks to Dave, I had a place to hold my gear and a shower to get myself clean.

Before that we went out to get lunch and shop.  Finally a good meal was had.  We went to Rosewood and I had a sandwich.  We went to the department store and I bought gifts.  Being back in civilization was so comforting.





We got back to the hotel and I had a hot shower.  I can't describe just how good that hot shower felt.  I washed myself 3 times and stood under the hot water for far too long.  I didn't want that moment to end.

I waited out till it was time to depart.

I would leave Mongolia behind.  It was all coming to an end.  I didn't know what emotions I was feeling.  I just wanted to get back home.  It was going to be another uncomfortable journey.

empty incheon
I arrived at Incheon Airport at around 3:30 AM.  Or I guess it was that time.  I don't know.  I had to find a place to sleep until 7:30.  It was worse than the Ger.  I didn't think I would miss the Ger so soon.  But I kept on keeping on as I knew I'd be home soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no fun when you're the only one

tomorrow is an excuse for today

i like summer