cycling in oita

I'm thankful for all those who helped put on the Oita AJET Charity Bike ride.  I'm also thankful for everyone who I was able to meet: riders, volunteers, and supporters.  They have shared some great pictures that I have posted below...



Riding in Japan can be very lonely for me.  I've gotten used to riding by myself.  It's not so bad anymore, but it's always nicer to ride with others.  When I first learned about the Oita AJET Charity Bike Ride a year ago, I was interested in attending.  It would be a nice opportunity to ride new roads and meet others who are interested in cycling.  To top it all off, the monies raised would be going to a good cause.

I signed up for the 2016 bike ride and May 28 quickly approached.  While it had been hot and sunny everyday for the previous week or two, the weather forecast predicted rain over the weekend.  Lots of rain.

The ride took place in the Usa and Nakatsu areas of Oita Prefecture.  We gathered at Usa Shrine to take off into the mountains.  I had to take an early morning train from Iizuka to begin the 2 hour journey to Usa.  Luckily, the trains were empty so it wasn't a hassle at all to travel with the bike.

Obligatory bike at station picture.
                           
I arrived at Usa Station and knew that I would have to ride around 4km to the shrine from there.  Fortunately the rain had momentarily stopped.  The roads were wet and it was overcast but it looked like it would be ok. 

The first day we rode up to our campsite at an onsen in the mountains.  I think it was around 40km but I'm not entirely sure, my garmin decided to give up.  There was a Cat2 climb involved and I'm impressed that everyone got over that mountain with standard hybrid bikes.  The onsen campsite was comfortable and cozy.  We had a soba making demonstration and a bbq.  I'm sure everyone was asleep by midnight after the long day.

The second day rained.  It rained hard and it didn't stop.  But everyone still got on the bike and rode back to the shrine.  Initially there was a 90km and 47km ride planned.  Due to the rain, we all chose to do the 47km ride.  Yes, it was wet, but it was still an enjoyable time to ride with everyone.



I don't have much to write.  It was a great time, the people I met were so kind and enjoyable people to be around.  The ride was nice, the night at the onsen was nice.  I look forward to going back to this event next year.  I'm also hoping that we were able to raise a lot of money for our charity, the Multicultural Refugee Coalition.  

Please enjoy the shared pictures.



Group Photo at Usa Shrine

Morning briefing of the days ride


Start of ride

Making it to the finish


Approaching the finish once more

Soba demonstration



Soba demonstration...I was thinking about how badly
 I wanted to eat the soba that was being made.

Master soba maker.  Impressive cutting.

Soba.

Very delicious soba

Bbq.  Lots of meat.  Even more pasta
Pillow soccer/dodge ball before sleeping.
I should also mention here that two local JHS students did this ride too.
Hats off to them for finishing both days and speaking English well.

Day 2 morning briefing after breakfast.


The hardest part of the ride was walking home with my bike 0.9 miles from the station.
I was too cheap to pay for a taxi home.
                           


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

no fun when you're the only one

tomorrow is an excuse for today

i like summer